Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Molly Giles Reading

Molly Giles visited USI today to do her Ropewalk reading. I have to admit I wasn't familiar with her work, but she was a very personable... person... and I enjoyed talking to her during the reception. Her reading was excellent; I especially liked her poem about Noah's daughter-in-law and the short short of the father discussing the family dog with his son. The short story she read was very good as well. I was talking to Dr. Kearns after the reading and he said he was surprised at how dead-pan her expression was when she was reading, seeing as she had a lot of irony and other funny material in her pieces. I had noticed that too, and I don't think I would have been able to do that.

Um, I don't really know what else to talk about. My life, personally (which I'm sure you all care about), has been really hectic: this week I had to finish the Molly Giles program handed out during the reading and last week I installed software on the new Mac (yay for being an adaptable computer nerd!). Most of the stuff I have to do is related to being a resident assistant: Monday I had a program start (It's called The Water Challenge, see more information here), as well as census (making sure people still live there) and health and safety checks (basically making sure no one has screwed up the room so far). I also have a staff meeting to go to today, and a program tomorrow. I also have a meeting with the Housing Director and some other RAs on Friday. School-wise I'm just as busy. I was supposed to have two tests and a paper due today, but thankfully one test was moved to Friday and the due date for the paper has been moved to Monday. I also have a bunch of homework to do, Relay For Life and a practice GRE exam on Saturday, and the Honors Symposium on Sunday. Basically, my life is an eternal black hole in which all free time is devoured, never to return again, even in the form of regurgitation, also known as naps.

Okay maybe that metaphor was too heavy. Cut me some slack; it's been a long day.

No comments: