Saturday, February 7, 2009

Breaking Out of the Matchbox

Okay so, I'm new at this whole blogging thing. That is my disclaimer in case I do something wrong. I've been interning at SIR since the start of this semester, so about four weeks. This is my first intern job, my first experience in the production of a publication of any sort. These days we're gearing up for a trip to Chicago to attend the AWP conference. I've never been. I've always wanted to go to Chicago; I'm a museum kind of girl and I know there are plenty of those there. However, most of my friends are not, and everytime I tried to organize a trip they were all suspiciously busy. What else is there to do? My parents were the ones who informed me of Chicago's attractions so I'm guessing they only filled me in on the things a biology teacher and an art teacher would appreciate. I'm thinking they left out a lot.
I'm told I need to layer my sweaters- we're going to Chicago in the dead of winter. I hate the cold, but it's Chicago. Need I say more? I might, actually. Or someone does. Since I've never been, I could be grossly over-estimating the city. It doesn't take much to impress me;I gape at everything when I go to Indianapolis. I probably seem very naive to those of you who know Chicago and think it's small potatoes. If so, then pretend your world was the size of a matchbox. Now imagine you were painfully aware of the confines you lived in. That's me. My parents travelled the world. I've only been to Florida. I'm embarrassed by that truth. So next week I will broaden my horizons just a little bit more, and report back to you as one who can give an interesting first impression of her first trip to the famed city of Chicago.

No comments: