Saturday, January 31, 2009

Well, the power's back...

You never truly appreciate the little things like taking a hot shower or sleeping in a warm bed until they get taken away. I honestly had a little bit of fun with the blackout. I felt like I was roughing it...I gathered around candles with a bunch of people and made the best of a bad situation. However, it really made me think not only about how much we take for granted, but also how dependent we've become on technology to communicate with each other. I think people were freaking out about not having charged cellphones and laptops more than not having heat! I think that says something interested and kind of sad about how, in the modern world, the devices that we base our lives around can betray us in a second...and most of us are so used to having them available that we don't have a backup plan. Well, that's all the deep thinking I've got in me for now. Oh, I am officially accepting cash donations to replace all of my food that went rotten when my fridge stopped working. I also take Visa, MaterCard and American Express. Think about it.

1 comment:

Tristin said...

Yay for power! Mine was off for a day and half. I was worried about my cat! All is good now and I'm getting back in the swing of school. Maybe. I'm really excited about the trip to Chicago for AWP. I'm a first-timer and can't wait to see what its all about! There are some pretty cool kids going too. I'll get to see some of my family while I'm there but I don't get to take my cat :(. She's going to have a babysitter! Haha.