Thursday, September 25, 2008

First RopeWalk Reading of the Semester

So I’ve had almost four official weeks of SIR interning. I’ve learned how to log submissions, make posters, and how not to make a program. And now I’m writing my first blog. It’s all been rather exciting and educational. I look forward to seeing what the rest of the semester brings.

We had the first installment of our RopeWalk Reading Series, one Holly Goddard Jones, author of the upcoming Girl Trouble from Harper Perennial last Thursday. An interesting turn of events (read illness) led to Jones teaching my Techniques of Creative Writing: Child Narrator class and it was one of the best experience of the rare "college substitute teacher day" that I’ve had. Fresh from her car trip all the way here, she jumped right in and led a great discussion about the importance of point of view and voice. It was excellent. Not only did we get to attend a reception to hear her talk about her writing and go to her reading later on, we also got the added pleasure of seeing how she teaches. Overall, I’d say it was a great way to start out the reading series.

No comments: